Many of our British clients have asked us to process their applications for Residency in the last two years. They knew they could benefit from a relatively easy procedure as UE residents before Brexit and they wanted to make sure that they could continue living and working in Spain. Though the lack of appointments at “Extranjería” and the bureaucracy had been quite an ordeal, many of them already hold their Residence Permit. Some others are waiting for the resolution, but we expect that they will successfully receive it in due time.

Now that Great Britain is definitely out of the European Union, the requirements to live in Spain have changed for British nationals. Now, they need to apply for a visa at the Spanish Consulate in the UK before coming to Spain.

Can I still apply for Residency in Spain?

Though they are not EU citizens anymore, British nationals may still apply for Residency in Spain. There is a short period of grace, until March the 31st 2021, for those who were living in the country before the end of 2020 but failed to send their application.

To qualify for Residency, you will have to send your application before March the 31st 2021, proving that you were living in Spain before the end of last year. You will have to provide the following documents:


-Application Form

-Documents proving that you meet the EU requirements about health coverage and income, such as health insurance valid in Spain, proof of income, etc

-Documents that demonstrate that you were living in Spain before December 31st 2020. You should be aware that, depending on your circumstances, this may not be easy.

The best way to prove that you were living in Spain is to provide a Certificate of the Municipal Register (Padrón) from your Town Hall, dated before 31st December 2020. Otherwise, you will need to provide other documents to press your case, such as a Property Rental contract or Bank or credit card statements, with charges from local supermarkets, petrol stations, restaurants, shops, etc

Please, bear in mind that property deeds,
rental contracts or utility bills are not always considered valid proof in themselves.   

How can I apply for Residency in Spain?

Though you may apply for Residency by yourself
before 31st March 2021, we recommend you to seek professional help,
because the “red tape” might be complicated. The LS Solicitors team is very
familiar with all this procedure, as we have successfully obtained the
Residence Permit for hundreds of British clients within the last years.

Recently, many people have contacted us, asking for advice. They would want to apply for Residency in Spain, but they are retained in the UK due to the COVID-19 restrictions. If this is your case, please note that we can only represent you if we have an authorization signed by yourself before a Spanish Notary.

What happens if I don’t have the Residency?

British citizens intending to live in Spain but not entitled to the Residence Permit will have to follow another itinerary, set by the Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores.

First, you will have to make an appointment to
get a Visa at the Spanish Consulate. Please, be aware that, but for some
exceptions, you will need to request and pick your visa personally. 

There are different types of visa, and you will need to request the one that adjusts to your circumstances. The Consulate will let you know the complete list of documents you need to provide.

Unfortunately, this part of the process happens in Great Britain and we are not able to assist you. However, after you get your visa, you will have one month from the date of entry into Spain, to process the TIE Card – “Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero”. Since this procedure takes place in Spain, LS Solicitors would be able to help you again.

We hope to have brought you some light over this confusing situation. Please, contact us at if you comply with the requirements to apply for Residency or if you already have your Visa and we will be glad to help you.

For more information about the visa procedures, please click here to check the "Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores" website